Sequoia Takes Care of Business Against El Camino

Gus Kirkpatrick, Staff Reporter

The Sequoia girls soccer team came into Tuesday night’s matchup against El Camino with a 4-1-5. Led by star sophomore Reese Mckeon, senior leader Lita Billman, and Kira Spottiswood, the Ravens have gotten off to a stellar start having only lost one game to Carlmont. The team has relied on strong defense as Head Coach Melissa Schmidt emphasizes this aspect of the game. The team has responded in a big way as they have shut out opponents often throughout the season. The struggle for the team is putting the ball in the net. However, on Tuesday night against El Camino, the team broke through scoring six goals. At the same time, the defense remained a brick wall and held El Camino scoreless. Heading into the game, the Ravens were favorited as El Camino was two divisions lower.

“I knew it was a game we should win, but we still wanted to be prepared and play hard,” Schmidt said.

The scoring started roughly 10 minutes into the game with an impressive strike from just outside the box into the top right corner of the goal by center mid-fielder Reese Mckeon. Immediately after, sophomore striker Natalie Franco scored on a cross from Phoebe Loren to make it 2-0. The rest of the first half was mundane with no goals scored. 

“We knew we were playing sloppy and our energy was low yet we were still up 2-0, so going into the second half our focus was to pick it up and stop playing down to their level” Senior mid-fielder Mandy Erwig said.

That they did as they went up 3-0 early in the second half on a goal by junior striker Kelly Felix. The Ravens did not look back and ended up winning 6-0. 

“Glad we played an excellent second half, and we scored in a variety of ways. I was happy to see 8 different players score or assist on a goal during the game”, said Head Coach Melissa Schmidt.

This is Sequoia’s most dominant win yet, and they will look to build on it next game. The Ravens face off against Aragon at home on Saturday the 25th in what should be a more competitive game.