High football, basketball attendance leaves others ignored

Brighid Bugos, Sports Editor

Friday nights for most high school students evoke memories of frigid football games and the brisk pace of basketball games, as far as sports go. But does anyone remember the soccer players playing in the elements or the tennis team swinging without shade?
At games other than basketball and football, the audience is meager; only a couple of committed parents and some other athletes show up. When cross country made it to Central Coast Section (CCS) championships, did anyone go to their meets? No. This is because all the meets are away and they begin before school even gets out. Who even wants to watch people dying as they run up hills anyway?
But sports games are much more complicated than they originally seem. First of all, they can inspire even the laziest of people to get out and do some exercise no matter how little. Also, if you can see your friends or classmates kill a move, why not go to cheer them on? It’s much more rewarding for the players and the fans when you know the players outside of the sport and actually talk to them.
With sports in the pool, on the field, on the track and in the gym, games, matches and meets are all accessible for students. Waiting to be picked up? Check the Sequoia website and stop by a game for a little.
About 32 percent of students play a sport at Sequoia, which means there is one in three of your friends and classmates that you could be supporting. Even though a sport might not be as popular as football or basketball, players put forth the same effort and passion.
The size of a team does not determine the amount of time and energy invested in it. For example, girls golf typically has a very small team—usually fewer than ten people—but they have gone 27-2 in the past three years. Not many people know that.
You don’t have to understand the game to enjoy it: it’s the atmosphere that makes it fun.
“You’re there for the sport, but you’re also there to have fun and I think that’s the best part about it. Cheering and rooting for your team,” junior Michela Imperiale said. “It doesn’t really matter if you know what’s going on, you’re just there to support your team.”
So, I encourage you to grab some friends (or go solo) and go to a game, match or meet and cheer on your classmates. Who knows, maybe you’ll even get inspired to get some exercise or join a team.