Sequoia Spring Orchestra Concert

Sarina Sanghvi, Staff Reporter

Sequoia families and community gathered in Carrington Hall to watch the performances of Sequoia’s orchestra, chorus and a capella group on Tuesday, April 4, at the annual spring concert. The concert consisted of 13 songs from different genres and styles. They showcased songs they had been preparing and learning all year. 

Alice Taub, a freshman and soprano in the chorus, comments on how prepared the performers had to be. 

“We have been rehearsing our songs for many months and had to work very hard to sing them correctly with energy while still not only singing the songs but also conveying their messages,” Taub said. 

Some of the songs simply started as warm-ups, and others were decided by students, but regardless the students put effort into all of them.

During Adagio, from “The Farewell” symphony performed by the orchestra, the musicians slowly left the stage one by one until the soloists were the only ones left performing. 

The chorus sang “Found/Tonight,” a mash-up of songs from the musicals Hamilton and Dear Evan Hansen. This song took the chorus longer to learn as it was a challenging song. Creating complex and sequenced music requires a community and willingness to work together in all musical groups, something Sequoia does not lack.

“I can play on my own at home, but when you’re playing with other people, it’s a very different feel because you’re part of a community,” sophomore violinist Soren Torres said. 

On May 17, Sequoia’s orchestra, band, chorus, and a capella group will perform in the “Pops” concert, the final show of the year. With performers ranging from freshmen through seniors, the groups had to accommodate a diverse set of abilities and strengths to create their music.

“Although it was scary to sing with new people I didn’t know, we have really built a supportive and fun community in the class,” Taub said.

Throughout the show, there were also many tributes to seniors in orchestra, chorus, and a capella, as it is one of the final shows of the year. Some have been a part of Sequoia’s musical communities for many years and will continue to play and sing after high school.

“Regardless if [the seniors] continue to make music later on in life, I want them to remember the connections, community, the discipline, and the practice they learned from it,” Othello Jefferson, orchestra and chorus teacher, said.