Senior spotlights

Madeline Carpinelli, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Kate Eterovich

Describe your plans for the next four years.

“After graduating, I’m going to go to culinary school. The school I chose was the Culinary Institute of America. I chose the location in Napa […] because it’s closer. I’m going to be majoring in baking and pastry arts, which you get an associate’s degree in for two years at the Napa location, but if you want the bachelor’s degree for it, you have to do the two years in Hyde Park in New York. I might transfer there.”

How did you choose this path? Why? Were you considering any other post-graduation plans? 

“All through high school I wanted to do the regular route, which is [to] look for a UC [and] do [the] IB Diploma. I was thinking about how all the UCs have so many major options and I really couldn’t decide on one thing, so I just thought about what I [have] loved doing all my life. Something that my mom, grandma and aunt had all taught me and gave me lessons and advice on [was] just baking, so I wanted to do that.”

“[The admission process] was actually pretty simple because it [was rolling] admissions all the way until July. “

Do you have any advice to underclassmen who aren’t sure which path to take after graduating?

“For me, it was something that I have done all my life, and that’s why I want to pursue it. I [am] so comfortable in it and that made me confident since I’ve been doing it for so long.”

Will Jett

“Next year, [I plan on] training and trying the recruiting process again for rowing. [I’ll be studying] French and Business in September to January in Grenoble, France. Hopefully, [my next] four years [will be] at a competitive school after that. If I’m lucky, January admission might be an option at UC Berkeley; right now that’s still my plan.”

“Coaches like to see training accompanied by some kind of academic engagement. I get to do both and travel because of a connection at my current club. Our program director knows the coach there.”

“I didn’t really have any other plans. The option to travel came up pretty recently but I knew I was going to take an extra year.”

“Keep in mind that your long term goals are going to change throughout high school and there’s always more than one way forward.”