Why do people think dinosaurs are a myth?

Today conspiracy theorists come up with theories about almost anything that is not physically proven and dinosaurs are not an exception.  We found that most students at Sequoia do not believe in these theories; no matter the religion or belief they have. 

In a Joe Rogan Experience Podcast 862, he and paleontologist Trevor Valle  watch a video about why dinosaurs don’t exist. An argument that anti-dinosaur theorists like to make is that there is no 100 % certain evidence that dinosaur fossils belonged to dinosaurs. Such evidence as that before the 1800s, nobody knew that dinosaurs existed. During the late 1800s and early 1900s, large deposits of dinosaurs remained. He wondered why humankind made all of these discoveries. No tribe countries and more found dinosaur bones before the mid-1800s. They were suddenly found worldwide in North America, South America, Europe, Asia, Africa, and many other places. 

Dinosaurs lived about a century before reptiles came to earth 230 million years ago.  Paleontologists can do things like look at how teeth are made; they know if it is a predator or if its prey they know if it is a herbivore or a carnivore. Teeth show that dinosaurs and these reptiles have the same sculpture, bringing evidence that dinosaurs and reptiles are related and reptiles would not look the way they do without dinosaurs. 

According to an article, “Birds have juvenile dinosaur skulls”  produced by Smithsonian Magazine, animals from the bird family and animals like alligators and crocodiles have the same skull as dinosaurs. This goes against anti-dinosaur beliefs: all the dinosaur fossils actually came from reptiles and birds. 

“I see dinosaur fossils as legos in a way, legos need to stick together and make the creation,” freshman Chapel Meza-Thorbone said. 

Still, some people find it hard to believe that dinosaurs are real when there are nine dinosaurs based on teeth they found in the ground. One claim believes it is impossible to reconstruct an entire hypothetical ancient animal based on a few teeth. Some just don’t think there is enough evidence to prove that dinosaurs actually existed, claiming that the fossils that they left behind belong to different animals that we see today. Another popular claim is that nobody even knew what dinosaurs were before the 1800’s. 

According  to Bob Strauss, a reporter and author that has three books about science and dinosaurs on Thought.Co said a common reason people believe  that dinosaurs never existed is because of religion. In the Bible, it says that God created Adam and Eve then God created land animals. Humans and dinosaurs did not live at the same time; and a small number of Christians believe that dinosaurs never existed because they were not mentioned in the Bible. Consequently “This lack of inclusion, combined with scientists’ assertion that dinosaurs lived over 65 million years ago, makes many Christians skeptical about the existence of dinosaurs, and of prehistoric life in general.” Bob Strauss, a science writer for Though.Co wrote. 

“I think people definitely don’t believe in dinosaurs because of religion but that doesn’t mean all people that are religious don’t believe in dinosaurs,” freshman Marco Baisch said. 

While students believe dinosaurs exist, they understand why some people do not believe in dinosaurs. 

“I think people grow up to believe that dinosaurs don’t exist because of who they grow up around and how they are raised. Or they might think like that because it’s something they are passionate about and want to share with the world,”  freshman Chapel Meza-Thorbone said.

Yet at the end of the day, the evidence for dinosaurs  is too convincing. 

“Personally I think dinosaurs did exist because there is too much evidence to try and say they didn’t,” Meza-Thorbone said.