Buildings names tell the story of Sequoia’s movers and shakers

Beatrice Bugos, Sports Editor

Otis Carrington (Faculty 1907-1950):
Carrington was a music and art teacher and later became the head of the music department he developed. He’s most famous for his children operettas because he found there were no operettas that suited his students’ voices. He also composed the Sequoia Hymn. He is the creator of the Treble Clefs-who still exist today- and other choral and acapella groups.

Arnold C. Argo (Faculty 1921–1948):
A Principal and a Superintendent of the Sequoia Union High School District. He taught staff to be more resourceful and innovative. He believed schools should inspire students to actively participate in our democratic society, grow to appreciate diversity in the school and work together to educate one another. Argo also coached football—one of his players was Terremere—and girls basketball.

Al Terremere (Faculty 1930–1950, Class of 1925):
Playing four sports, Terremere won PAL titles in football and baseball. in 1924, he was one of the 14 men who participated in track and field. He was affectionately nicknamed by his teammates, “Frenchy” for working at his family’s business, a french laundry. After graduating, Terremere returned to be a baseball and football coach.

Lenkurt Labs:
Lenkurt Electric Company, started by Kurt Appert and Lennart Erikson in 1944, was a microwave and telecommunications company. First based in San Francisco, it then moved to San Carlos in 1947. The company donated money to build the current LL-2 classroom, named Lenkurt Lab. Later, the LL-wing was added.

Robert Powell (Class of 1949):
Shortly after graduating, Powell was a drywall installer on the Peninsula. After touring in Europe with his wife, he came back as a real estate developer. Later, he established the Robert C. and Jeannette Powell Foundation that offers scholarships and programs to students in need.

Nicotine Field:
Until 1986, students smoked nicotine on their breaks on the field with the unofficial name “Nicotine Field”. At the moment, there is no official name for the field; however, some call it the practice field. “Nicotine Field” is not endorsed by the school administration, but is referred to as such by alumni and students.

Frank Griffin (Faculty 1920–1956, Class of 1913):
Griffin left before graduation because of a dispute with an English teacher, only to receive his diploma as faculty. Serving as a sports coach, he made significant changes to the Physical Education program. He created an obstacle course, the “Atomic Loop”, that every male had to pass, and created levels of physical accomplishments. His programs became a model for many other schools across the U.S.

Bob Anderson (Faculty 1950–1980, Class of 1941):
As a student, Andersen was on six sports teams. After joining the Navy in WWII, he returned as a coach for seven sports. With the help of his father and the Athletic Director, Frank Griffin, Andersen started the Boys Night boxing club. It was an annual father-son night where the two best boxers in each weight limit fought, and often there were guest celebrities in attendance.

Who should the new field be named after?

We asked students who the new field should be named after in hopes that the adminiatration will consider these people. Here are the top five responses.
#1 Gary Gooch- Current Junior and Senior AVP
#2 Kenny Ortega- Alumnist, choreographed & directed “High School Musical”
#3 Mike McRae- Current head track and field and cross country coach
#4 Donald J. Trump- Current U.S. President
#5 Holly Spalletta- Student, passed away this year, inspired others to support each other.

Best responses for why they chose the person:
Dolores Huerta- “Because she does not get as much credit for what she did. With the high percent of females and latinos at Sequoia, I think it would be a good representation of the school.”

Karl Marx- “[He’s] a beacon of authenticity in our artificial society controlled by the bourgeoisie. A practice field being named in honor of one of history’s greatest philosophers would symbolize the power of the working class and Sequoia’s focus on intellectual and academic excellence.”